by Anonymous July 24, 2003
An individual who:
1. Enjoys learning
2. Does not adhere to social norms
A nerd is *not*:
1. A geek. The circles overlap, but they are not the same.
2. Someone who wears fake "nerdy" glasses
3. Someone who wears suspenders, fake glasses, and bowties on "nerd" day.
4. Someone who thinks of themself as a nerd, yet cannot hold an intelligent debate.
5. If you are reading this article to determine whether you are a nerd or not, you are not. Nerds do not need to look up the definition of "nerd", it is a label with no consequence whatsoever, and nerds have better things to do than play along with societal stereotypes. That being said, if you merely want to see what people think of when they think of the word "nerd", because human thought processes, societal constructs, and philosophy are so interesting, consider yourself a nerd.
Synonyms include booksmart
by EmiLogic February 20, 2017
Someone who enjoys learning and obtaining new information in general for it's own sake, often without discrimination to different areas of knowledge. The key to recognizing a nerd is if they are completely indifferent to the application of what they learn; they are not inherently inclined to use or not to use the information.
Someone who is a nerd could also be a geek, who is passionate about highly specific interests, or a dork, who is a social outcast, but they do not have to be.
Person 1: Do you intend to do anything with your advanced degree in Russian Literature?
Person 2: I could, but honestly it's just interesting to study it. I could go my entire life without using the information I gain and still feel fulfilled.
Person 1: Wow, what a nerd.
by Mr. ZAP February 13, 2011
by ecs25858 December 11, 2010
A studious and smart person who gets made fun of by haters. Nerds are not necessarily the 1960's stereo type with bottle cap glasses, suspenders, button shirts with pens in a shirt pocket, ect. Some nerds are good looking, some are smart, and some are both. Nerds are academicly advanced. However, most nerds are still socially challenged. Nerds are loners. :)
by HawaiianPunch1 October 25, 2009
by Rainbow_Creeper3 September 9, 2016
by Hannah Lumpkins June 9, 2005